Post Title: National Project Officer
Project Title: The AgriTT Programme
Duty Station: Lilongwe, Malawi
Duration: 7 months
Part-time: TBC based on applicant expertise
Landell Mills Ltd (www.landell-mills.com) together with Triple Line are implementing the Working in Partnership to Accelerate Agricultural Technology Transfer (AgriTT) programme, funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID).The projectis an innovative trilateral approach to development that facilitates the transfer of relevant Chinese technology to address agricultural productivity and value chain issues in developing countries. The project is being implemented through two major components: a Research Challenge Fund (RCF) and two Pilot Development Projects (PDPs) in two developing countries, Uganda and Malawi.
In Malawi, for which this position is advertised, the PDP is focussed on technologies and innovations related to aquaculture production and the aquaculture value chain. The Malawi project was developed with and is being implemented in partnership with two main implementing partners: the Department of Fisheries (DoF) Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation andWater Development; and Bunda College, Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR).
Landell Mills Ltd is implementing the AgriTT programme through a Programme Management Office, managed by a full-time Head of the AgriTT PMO (based in Beijing) and AgriTT Project Coordinator (based in the UK) and supported by project staff in China, Uganda and Malawi. The work of the PMO in Malawi is subject to oversight by a Project Steering Committee, with members drawn from China’s Ministry of Agriculture and Ministry of Commerce, DFID China and DFID Malawi, the Department of Fisheries (Government of Malawi) and LUANAR. The successful candidate for the position of National Project Officer will be contracted by Landell Mills Ltd (and Triple Line) and will be an addition to the part-time staff.
Up to 10 days per month will be available for this position.
The position will involve two areas of responsibility: a) project management and technical coordination and b) monitoring and evaluation. The specific responsibilities of the position involve working with Implementing Partners and others to ensure the following:
Project Management and Technical Coordination:
- Provide support to the PMO Malawi Project Authorising Officer for thetimely development of quarterly and annual workplans and budgets for the pilot.
- Review and monitor the technical rationale for project activities, and provide guidance to the Head of the PMO on this.
- Ensure forward planning of all activities to be undertaken in the Malawi Pilot Development Project (PDP),provide timely identification ofissues that are delaying or could delay project implementation, and develop solutions to address bottlenecks.
- Develop a clear GANTT chart for project implementation activities with dates, deliverables and responsibilities. Regularly updatethe AgriTT Malawi pilot progress tracker based on this.
- Coordinate with the PMO Project Authorising Officer to contribute towards efficient and effective project fund flows and financial management.
- Travel regularly to NAC, Department of Fisheries and BundaCollege, and other project sites (including hatcheries and farmers) to meet with Implementing Partners, identify challenges to implementation and opportunities for greater impact and ensure close working relationships.
- Network with different stakeholders working in the aquaculture sector in Malawi to communicate project innovations, and seek opportunities that could add value to the project and help realise the objectives of AgriTT.
- Ensure that activities are carried out in a manner that provides for value for money and thatprojects funds are utilised for purposes intended.
- Ensure effective communication and liaison between the Chinese Technical Assistance experts and the Implementing Partners.
- Provide support for the organisationand facilitation of missions, stakeholder consultation visits and grantee visits in Malawi.
- Work with the IPs to develop and implement a communication strategy for the pilot including the development of appropriate communication outputs.
- Liaise on a weekly basis with the AgriTT Project Management Office (PMO) and facilitate good communication between the PMO and Implementing Partners. Provide support with reporting, communications and supporting the facilitation of PMO missions to Missions.
- Provide a brief weekly work summary, including a plan for the following week, with updating of priorities and proposed next steps.
- Liaise with the AgriTT Research Challenge Fund Targeted Research project, led by Professor Kaunda (LUANAR) to ensure that PDP and RCF project implementers are aware of each other’s activities and outputs and that synergies between the two initiatives are captured where possible.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensure timely delivery of monitoring reports and data sheets, validation report, including timely response to comments from the PMO M&E Lead.
- Track implementation of the AgriTT Malawi PDP project logframe outputs, drawing to the attention of the PMO and IPs relevant challenges and risks associated with meeting logframe targets.
- Suggest revisions to the logframe as requested, following consultation with IPs.
- Conduct spot check validation missions.
- Contribute to end of project reporting and evaluation.
- Report to the AgriTT M&E Lead and the Head of the PMO.